Saturday, January 06, 2007

Shadows



As you may have read earlier, I recently completed the autobiography of Adam Ant. It was a great book and with a bit of my Christmas money, I bought the "Best Of" DVD that came out at the same time. It contains virtually all the single videos, except one or two of the early ones (copyright bollox, so I'm told) and compliments the book nicely. Disc 2, however, is the revelation and the catalyst behind this post.

It features a documentary made this year and was broadcast on London TV in December 2006. This version features another 25 minutes of footage and it's not a bad piece of work, although it seems to be inspired by these historical decade shows we see all too often nowadays. It's redeeming features are the interviews with Adam & Marco, but in Adam's case, these are also the most upsetting.

Until I saw this, I don't think I could ever say that I had truly seen someone where I could legitimately use the phrase, "He's a shadow of his former self". Adam looked so delicate and fragile in this film, so vulnerable and timid, it really was very upsetting. Why ? Well, you must remember, when I was growing up and Adam was a big part of my life, he was this energetic, brave, feisty, workaholic warrior, full of gusto and verve. He was a successful and very active artist and his live shows were pure and raw energy. Now, ravaged by Bi-Polar disorder and having suffered many years of it undiagnosed, it has left him in a withered state, speaking in monotones and almost struggling to summon the effort to smile. It truly broke my heart. I admire the guy totally and always have. I marvel at the way he has coped with a very debilitating illness and am so glad he is still with us, but it is mightily sad to see him like this.

I didn't just love his music. I loved his art. I loved his ability to entertain and inspire. The music world, and the world in general, lack such people nowadays. Adam insists there is still good music in him, which I don't doubt for a second.

Let's hope we get to hear it soon :o)

Oh, and in the vain hope he may read this, thanks Adam, for everything you have done for me without knowing.

P.S. I sat in bed this morning with my little girl and we watched some of the videos together. She absolutely loved them. You could see how his total showmanship just leapt out of the screen and excited her. The old bugger can still knock 'em down 20+ years on ;o)

Please also visit these sites for more information on mental illness...

Royal College Of Psychiatrists

National Association For Mental Health

7 comments:

matrix said...

Interesting. I didn't realize he was bi-polar. It sounds like they filmed him in a "down" state which is unfortunate. I saw him live in 1995 and he was very energetic then. It was a great show, not like some other cheesy comeback shows from the 80s, but... He seemed like he felt the need to prove something, which he really didn't. The venue, the performance and his legacy leaves him nothing to prove. I know it's hard to have that confidence at time, and I'd imagine it's even harder with bi-polar. I wish him the best. He's done much more than most of us and his influence is there.

matrix said...

BTW, when was that photo taken? He looks really good in it.

Failed Muso said...

According to the date under his signature, about 2003 ;o)

The interview on the DVD was done a few months ago and he doesn't look that good now :o(

matrix said...

Wow. He does look good in 2003. I wasn't sure if that was just the date he signed an older photograph of himself for someone. Sad to hear he didn't look to good in the DVD.

matrix said...

Found an interview on YouTube - link.

Also found this "Xerox Promo." Coincidence or is this where the name of the blog comes from? What is the ref to Zerox anyway?

Failed Muso said...

No, that's exactly where I got the name from. Zerox is one of my favourite Ant tracks and the lyrics are just as relevant today as they were back then. The whole song is about "stealing and copying" and it's how I feel we all are nowadays, no real originality in the world anymore.

A tad profound maybe, but it's a bloody great song ;o)

Failed Muso said...

Also, in that interview, you could clearly see the hypomania building. I have been there, and it's quite scary seeing it in someone else.