Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Geek Alert !! My new phone.



I'm a bit of a mobile phone geek at heart and have been through quite a few models since my first brick, back in the early 90's. Just before Christmas I changed contract and took the opportunity to get a new phone too, which is what you see above, the Nokia N73. It's the latest Nokia "smartphone" which runs on their Series60 platform which currently stands at version 3. It runs the Symbian operating system (9.1) and is jam packed with features, including the normal phone functions, a superb screen, a camera with a Carl Zeiss Tessar lens, complete with aouto focus, zoom and a mechanical shutter. With the 2GB MiniSD card installed, I currently have 1000+ music tracks, resplendent with full IDv3 tags and album art, plus loads of games and other really cool apps. It's by far the best Series60 phone I've owned, although I did want the N80, but it wasn't available on the plan I wanted.

It really is a powerhouse of a phone, made better by the internal tweaking I have carried out where I upgraded the firmware from Orange's crappy and very buggy version to the Nokia Music Edition :) All the instructions to do this can be found at All About Symbian, the net's premier Symbian resource.

I've also just acquired the adapter that will allow me to hook it up to my in car HiFi system for plenty of mobile MP3 goodness :o)

As for my S60 past, see below....

6680


6600


7650


But I still have a soft spot for this pre S60 baby...

7110


There you go, geeky moment over, you can relax now :o)

1 comment:

gammagoblin said...

I've had both the 7650 and 7110 phones in the past, I'm using a 6670 now. The 7110 was the third mobile I owned and its still my favorite. I really wish Nokia would reintroduce the scrollwheel interface into phone designs again. It was by far the nicest way to get around a mobiles OS.