Wednesday, January 03, 2007

Stand And Deliver !

Well, seeing as I stole one of his lyrics for the title of my blog, I guess it's only fitting that my first proper post is an Adam Ant related one :o)



I've just finished reading his autobiography, "Stand And Deliver" (which I got for Christmas) and a most fascinating read it is too. I've been a fan since the late 70's when, as a young and very impressionable child, his music and style spoke to me like no one else had since The Beatles. Until I saw Adam, I had only ever wanted "to be" Paul McCartney, playing bass. Within a few months of being exposed to Adam, I knew I was to be a drummer. I instantly connected with Adam's ideals, his mindset and his music. Sure, it wasn't deep & meaningful stuff, it wasn't the angry political punk or social commentaries offered by certain Ska bands, but it was pure showmanship, total theatre and deeply fascinating. I got all kinds of stick for dressing up in a similar fashion, although I'm sure my mum actually liked it !

Sadly, what many people think of when they hear the name Adam Ant now, is of a crazy old 80's hasbeen, and they could be no further from the truth. Suffering from Bi-polar disorder, Adam has been through a personal hell and has been suffering for a lot longer than many would know. His personal "fix" was to work his bollox off and spend time flying around the world and moving from one relationship to another. Some if his descriptions were very familiar having suffered from a form of depression myself.

The book is a revelation and also a confirmation of many things. It's highly interesting, not only bringing back many fond memories of those times but also filling in blanks about his life & the music industry which had often evaded me.

Hopefully, the new compilation DVD will be waiting for me when I get home tonight and the memories will really come flooding back.

No comments: